- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (172)
- ► 2015 (127)
- ► 2014 (118)
- Matteo Garrone | Gomorrah
- Irving Reis | The Big Street
- Jack Smith | Flaming Creatures
- Jean Vigo | Zéro de conduit (Zero for Conduct)
- Jean Vigo | À Propos de Nice
- Cllint Eastwood | Flags of Our Fathers / Letters f...
- Yasujirō Ozu | Tōkyō Monogatari (Tokyo Story)
- Apichatpong Weerasethakul | Uncle Boonmee Who Can ...
- Bernardo Bertolucci | Il conformista (The Conformi...
- Tom Hopper | Les Misérables
- Ira Sachs | Keep the Lights On
- Paul Thomas Anderson | The Master
- Richard Linklater | Bernie
- David O. Russell | Silver Linings Playbook
- Matteo Garrone | Reality
- Cristian Mungiu | După dealuri (Beyond the Hills)
- Kleber Mendonça Filho | O soma o redor (Neighborin...
- John Madden | The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- Sam Mendes | Skyfall
- Wes Anderson | Moonrise Kingdom
- Michael Haneke | Amour
- Terence Davies | The Deep Blue Sea
- Steven Spielberg | Lincoln
- ▼ January (23)
- ► 2012 (147)
- ► 2011 (134)
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Jean Vigo | À Propos de Nice
the living and the deadby Douglas Messerli
Jean Vigo À Propos de Nice / 1930
So far, Vigo has only satirized his figures, but he soon begins to point up what that wealth hides, highlighting his silent and unspoken figures against a far more political context. As the camera dips into some of the Nice side streets where peasant women are busy washing their clothes in public fountains, we begin also to spot local teenagers, some of them gathering to play games of
cruder version of the casino games—others simply on the run, bicycling, racing through
the streets—a far cry from the careful strollers—in wild abandonment.
Suddenly it is almost as if Kaufman’s camera has become energized as he now parallels these poor-boy activities with the pleasures of others of the upper class. The beaches are filled with swimmers, sailing vessels and small yachts appear on the horizon, a water-plane dips into the ocean, tennis matches are cross-cut with bocce bowls. The sun shines across the Riviera paradise.
Los Angeles, January 17, 2013