- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (159)
- Yorgos Lanthimos | The Lobster
- Will Allen | Holy Hell
- Pier Paolo Pasolini | Accatone
- Fred C. Newmeyer and Sam Taylor | Safety Last!
- Jean Cocteau | La Belle et la Bête (Beauty and the...
- The Red Drum Getaway [link to film]
- Adrien Dezalay, Emmanuel Delabaere, and Simon Phil...
- Kenji Mizoguchi | 山椒大夫 Sanshō Dayū (Sansho the Bai...
- Ingmar Bergman | Ansiktet (The Magician / The Face...
- John Cromwell | The Racket
- Yasujirō Ozu | 小早川家の秋 Kohayagawa-ke no aki (The En...
- Jacques Rivette | Paris nous appartient (Paris Bel...
- Werner Herzog | Auch Zwerge haben klein angefangen...
- Louis Feuillade | 13 films
- Piero Messina | L'attesa (The Wait)
- ▼ May (15)
- ► 2015 (127)
- ► 2014 (118)
- ► 2013 (124)
- ► 2012 (147)
- ► 2011 (134)
Tuesday, May 31, 2016
Yorgos Lanthimos | The Lobster
by Douglas Messerli
Efthymis Filippou and Yorgos Lanthimos (screenplay), Yorgos Lanthimos (director) The Lobster / 2015, USA 2016
Although David also befriends a biscuit-eating woman (Olivia Colman)—who since she cannot find another biscuit eater, later attempts suicide—and a Lisping Man (John C. Reilly), who, similarly, has no luck in finding a companion.
David decides on trying to convince the Heartless Woman (Angeliki Papoulia) that he is compatible, ignoring the cries of the biscuit eater and even the Heartless Woman’s own mocked death-throes through choking. But when she kicks his brother/dog to death, he breaks into tears, and she becomes determined to report him for his lie, which will mean he will have no choice of the animal he is to become.
Los Angeles, May 31, 2016