- Abbas Kiarostami | Shirin
- Jacques Feyder | La Kermesse héroïque (A Carnival ...
- Jean Renoir | Boudu sauvé des eaux (Boudu Saved fr...
- Kenneth Lonergan | Manchester by the Sea
- Ernst Lubitsch | The Smiling Lieutenant
- Jean-Luc Godard | Tous les garçons s'appellent Pat...
- Nikolaj Arcel | En kongelig affære (A Royal Affair...
- Carol Reed | A Kid for Two Farthings
- Kim Ki-young | 하녀 Hanyeo (The Housemaid)
- Pier Paolo Pasolini | Mamma Roma
- Yasujirō Ozu | 風の中の牝鶏 Kaze no naka no mendori (A H...
- Damien Chazelle | La La Land
- Zhang Yimou | 大紅燈籠高高掛 (Dà Hóng Dēnglong Gāogāo Guà...
- Jean Renoir | Partie de campagne (A Day in the Cou...
- Pierre Étaix | Yo Yo
- François Truffaut | La Nuit américaine (Day for Ni...
- Paddy Breathnach | Viva
- Yasujirō Ozu | 一人息子 (Hitori musuko) (The Only Son)...
- Richard Fleischer | Compulsion
- François Truffaut | L’Enfant sauvage (The Wild Chi...
- Stanley Kubrick | 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Krzysztof Kieślowski | Trois couleurs : Rouge (Th...
- ▼ December (22)
- ► 2015 (127)
- ► 2014 (118)
- ► 2013 (124)
- ► 2012 (147)
- ► 2011 (134)
Thursday, December 22, 2016
Carol Reed | A Kid for Two Farthings
the magical unicorn
by Douglas Messserli
Wolf Mankowitz (screenplay, based on his novel), Carol Reed (director) A Kid for Two Farthings /
Even if Carol Reed’s 1955 film A Kid for Two Farthings is, at moments a bit too sentimental, it is nonetheless a great lost film—at least for Americans. In Britain, even if it was a highly criticized film, it was one of the 10 most popular movies of the year of its release. In the US it is hardly remembered.
Meanwhile, the lovely goat/unicorn seems to produce other wonders, actually conjuring up a real Patent Pants Presser for the elderly Kandinsky and other wonders. Perhaps this miracle unicorn is actually a wonder; but clearly it is Joe’s own belief in the world which accomplishes such amazing changes. Kandinsky makes a deal with Sonia that, if he wins the match, he will make him partner in his business if the fiancée is willing to give up her dream of a diamond ring and a new bedset she’s purchased on time; and, of course, against all odds, Joe wins the wrestling match with the Python, and she is perfectly ready to make the new commitment, which brings the eletric pant presser to his door.
Los Angles, December 21, 2016