- ► 2018 (109)
- Michael Cacoyannis | Αλέξης Ζορμπάς (Zorba the Gre...
- Dušan Makavejev | Nevinost bez zaštite (Innocence ...
- Jean-Pierre Melville | Deux hommes dans Manhattan ...
- Edgar Wright | Baby Driver
- King Vidor | The Crowd
- Michael Showalter | The Big Sick
- Edmund Goulding | Dark Victory
- João Pedro Rodrigues | Odete (Two Drifters)
- Lloyd Bacon and Busby Berkeley | Footlight Parade
- Satyajit Ray | দেবী (Devi) (The Goddess)
- Mikhail Kalatozov | Летят журавли (Letyat zhuravli...
- Akiri Kurosawa | 七人の侍 (Shichinin no Samurai) (Seve...
- ▼ July (12)
- ► 2016 (172)
- ► 2015 (127)
- ► 2014 (118)
- ► 2013 (124)
- ► 2012 (147)
- ► 2011 (134)
Monday, July 24, 2017
Dušan Makavejev | Nevinost bez zaštite (Innocence Unprotected)
mother’s babe of steel
by Douglas Messerli
Dušan Makavejev and Branko Vucicevic (writers), Dušan Makavejev (director) Nevinost bez zaštite(Innocence Unprotected) / 1968
Even the generally confident reviewer Roger Ebert had difficulty in describing Serbian director Dušan Makavejev’s 1968 film, Innocence Unprotected. Makavejev’s film tells the story of a 1941 film Nevinost bez zaštite, in English, “Innocence Unprotected,” made by and starring Dragoljub Aleksić, a Yugoslav gymnast/stuntman who, during the Nazi occupation, attempted to film the first Serbian talkie, supported by the anti-Nazi underground.
By recontextualizing the original movie with its stars’ real lives, Markavejev gives the original film that might have been a new life, and gently puts its hero into the folklore of Serbo-Croatian culture. The film won Silver Bear Extraordinary Prize of the Jury at the 1968 Berlin International Film Festival.
Los Angeles, July 24, 2017